Is Richard Dawkins The Very Model Of An Atheist Supremacist?

OK. . . So Richard Dawkins is not a Unitarian*Universalist U*U, nor am I aware of any other major ASSes* being U*Us, but Richard Dawkins, along with his fellow Atheist Supremacist Spokespersons such as Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Dan Dennett and last (and probably least) P. Z. Myers, most certainly have something of a following within the U*U "religious community." No doubt a certain number of the subset of atheist aka Humanist U*Us that I usually refer to as fundamentalist atheist "Humanist" U*Us can be quite justifiably described as being Atheist Supremacists themselves, even if these U*U Atheist Supremacists are not quite as famous or influential as Richard Dawkins et al. I certainly have reasonable grounds to consider fundamentalist atheist "Humanist" U*U minister Rev. Ray Drennan to be something of an Atheist Supremacist based on his well documented words and actions and I can think of a few other "Humanist" U*U ministers who might fit the bill as well. Then of course there are the numerous fundamentist atheist "Humanist" U*Us who, as lay people, make a certain number of Unitarian*Universalist "Welcoming Congregations" anything but genuinely welcoming to God believing people in general and Christians in particular. I could name at least a handful of "Humanist" members of the Unitarian Church of Montreal who can very justifiably be described as Atheist Supremacists. Val Bourdon and Franke Greene come to mind immediately. So, even though my satirical reworking of Gilbert & Sullivan's 'The Major General's Song' into 'The Atheist Supremacist's Song' mainly lampoons Atheist Supremacist Grand Dragon Richard Dawkins, it is hereby dedicated to all the intolerant and outright bigoted fundamentalist atheist "Humanists" in the U*U World, especially those "Humanists" whose words and actions show them to be Atheist Supremacists themselves or Atheist Supremacist "fellow-travellers" on the U*U "Ship Of Fools".

Without further ado, or indeed to*do. . . here is -


'The Atheist Supremacist's Song'


aka 'I Am The Very Model Of An Atheist Supremacist'

I am the very model of an Atheist Supremacist
I'm an Intellectual, Evangelical, Godless Evolutionist
I know the crimes of Christians, and I quote their fights historical
From Jerusalem to Ireland, in order categorical

I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters biological
I understand equivocation, both scientific and theological
About the "Holey Bible" I'm teeming with a lot o' news
With many fearful facts about Christians and the Jews

With many fearful facts about Christians and the Jews
With many fearful facts about Christians and the Jews
With many fearful facts about Christians and those darn Jews

I'm very good at bigotry and anti-religious insults
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous
In short, in matters biological, theological, and religious
I am the very model of an Atheist Supremacist

In short, in matters biological, theological, and religious
He is the very model of an Atheist Supremacist

I know God's mythic history, from Osiris to the (Day of Yule)
I answer to my critics, I've a petty taste for ridicule
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus
In comics I will fight those other gods who are so fabulous

I can't tell undoubting Muslims from Bahá'ís or Zoroastrians
But know the croaking chorus from those corpse-cold Unitarians
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's Rapical
And whistle at the "fairy tales" of infernal nonsense Biblical

And whistle at the "fairy tales" of infernal nonsense Biblical
And whistle at the "fairy tales" of infernal nonsense Biblical
And whistle at the "fairy tales" of infernal nonsense oh so Biblical

Then I can write a bashing book of Biblical enormity
And tell you ev'ry detail of Creationism's deformity
In short, in matters biological, Biblical, and religious
I am the very model of an Atheist Supremacist

In short, in matters biological, Biblical, and religious
He is the very model of an Atheist Supremacist

In fact, when I know what is meant by "Babylon" and "churlish"
When I can tell at sight a Mormon from a Whirling Dervish
When such affairs as prayers and "crackers" I'm more wary at
And when I know precisely what is meant by "Eat your hat"

When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern funnery
When I know more of tactlessness than a novice in a nunnery
In short, when I've a smattering of fundamental strategy
You'll say a better atheist had never spat at G

You'll say a better atheist had never spat at G
You'll say a better atheist had never spat at G
You'll say a better atheist had never ever spat at G

For my religious knowledge, though it's narrowy and shallowy
Has only been brought down to the early Nineteenth century
But still, in matters theological, minimal, and religious
I am the very model of an Atheist Supremacist

But still, in matters theological, minimal, and religious
He is the very model of an Atheist Supremacist

The End

I dare say that this version of 'The Major-General's Song' is as good as, if not somewhat better than, my reworking of 'The Major-U*U's Song' aka 'I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Unitarian'. I am none-the-less open to suggestions for improvements to the lyrics of both 'The Atheist Supremacist's Song' and or 'I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Unitarian'.


*Atheist Supremacist Spokespersons

Comments

Robin Edgar said…
And presumably you are an Atheist Supremacist aka fundamentalist atheist.
Anonymous said…
What a complete arse.
Robin Edgar said…
I couldn't agree more. Richard Dawkins is indeed a complete ASS as in Atheist Supremacist Spokesperson. :-)
Robin Edgar said…
ROTFLMU*UO!

Ta DuckPhup!

Most appreciated. . .
Anonymous said…
What a silly post. That Dawkins finds his position intellectually solid and the case for Christianity or other theistic ideas logically indefensible does not mean he finds regular Christians to be inferior. It is only incidental that others take his insults to the faith personally.
Hitchens on the other hand, I think you could make a case about expressing overt distaste for what he perceives as intellectual inferiority...

Arguably though, outside the realm of religion, insults to the alleged ignorance, stupidity, etc. of others seems to be acceptable. If it's acceptable in politics or other realms of public opinion, exactly what makes it so wrong with respect to religion? I'm not saying it makes it right either, but for some reason we seem to excuse the practice with other subjects.
Robin Edgar said…
:What a silly post.

Actually your comment is rather silly as you will soon see. . .

:That Dawkins finds his position intellectually solid and the case for Christianity or other theistic ideas logically indefensible does not mean he finds regular Christians to be inferior.

But he does. . . Richard Dawkins has repeatedly made statements to the effect that atheists are more intelligent than what he disparagingly calls "Faith Heads", Christian "FaithHeads" or otherwise. Richard Dawkins quite evidently believes that atheists are superior human beings too theists which is why I refer to him as an Atheist Supremacist.

:It is only incidental that others take his insults to the faith personally.

Regardless of whether or not people take Richard Dawkins "insults to the faith" personally he obviously insults the "faithful" of all religions on an ongoing basis. 'The God Delusion' title alone effectively asserts that all those people who believe in God are delusional and that is just one example out of many other insults to the faithful that Richard Dawkins dishes out.

:Hitchens on the other hand, I think you could make a case about expressing overt distaste for what he perceives as intellectual inferiority...

I can make a solid case against Dawkins, indeed I have already done so in the past. Richard Dawkins is by no means the only Atheist Supremacist and Christopher Hitchens is certainly numbered amongst them. The Atheist Supremacist's Song does not target Richard Dawkins alone although he is clearly in its sights as it were.

:Arguably though, outside the realm of religion, insults to the alleged ignorance, stupidity, etc. of others seems to be acceptable.

Quite evidently I am not entirely opposed to insults to the alleged or actual ignorance and/or stupidity of people when there is evidence to support those arguments. It is one thing to point out obviously ignorant and/or stupid behavior and quite another to condemn whole groups of people as being ignorant and/or stupid, aka inferior. . .

:If it's acceptable in politics or other realms of public opinion, exactly what makes it so wrong with respect to religion?

Did I say it was unacceptable aka wrong to insult religious people? The Emerson Avenger blog quite regularly insults Unitarian*Universalists, to say nothing of Atheist Supremacists, when they say and do stupid things that call their intelligence into question but you will be hard pressed to find any evidence of me suggesting that all U*Us or all atheists are of inferior intelligence.

:I'm not saying it makes it right either, but for some reason we seem to excuse the practice with other subjects.

Do we really?
Igor said…
Not witty. Not intelligent. Quite desperate. I can only hope that people like you are an insignificant minority. Though I guess in the west at least you almost certainly are thank *god*.
Anonymous said…
How very childish. You must have a remarkably ignorant and incapable mind to be so threatened by science, rational thought and human progress - instead gleefully delighting in rhymes and bronze-age mythology.

Why don't you grow up and read a book or two? Not the kind of toss written to reconfirm your ignorance - expose yourself to new ideas, decide what you think about them...you can be a modern human being yet, you don't have to retreat into infantile fantasies.
Robin Edgar said…
Trust a typical Atheist Supremacist to chime in here under the cowardly cover of anonymity. . .

'The Atheist Supremacist's Song' is no more "very childish" than Gilbert & Sullivan's original satirical piece 'The Major General's Song'.

:You must have a remarkably ignorant and incapable mind to be so threatened by science, rational thought and human progress -

I am by no means threatened by science, rational thought, and human progress Anonymous Atheist Supremacist. I am on record as saying that each and every valid scientific discovery is a small 'r' revelation of the mind of God. I think very rationally and I am by no means threatened by the rational thought of other people. Au contraire, I welcome and encourage rational thought. It would be nice if Richard Dawkins and other Atheist Supremacists were a bit more *rational* in their thought about religion and God believing people. Come to think of it, it would have been nice if you had been a bit more rational in your thoughts here rather than engaging in condescending if not contemptuous anti-religious prejudice.

:instead gleefully delighting in rhymes and bronze-age mythology.

I see no problem in *anyone* gleefully delighting in rhymes and bronze-age mythology Anonymous Atheist Supremacist. What is wrong with appreciating poetry and ancient mythology?

:Why don't you grow up and read a book or two?

I have read hundreds of books in my life. Possibly over a thousand books but I am not really counting them. Besides that I get plenty of reliable information from other sources such as radio, television and the internet.

:Not the kind of toss written to reconfirm your ignorance -

'The Atheist Supremacist' song in no way arises from ignorance. It is based on a well informed assessment of the behavior of professor Richard Dawkins and other Atheist Supremacists aka *fundamentalist* atheists. . .

:expose yourself to new ideas,

I do that quite regularly.

:decide what you think about them...

See above.

:you can be a modern human being yet,

I *am* a modern human being Anonymous Atheist Supremacist. I dare say that I Am The Very Model Of A Modern MonoTheist. . .

:you don't have to retreat into infantile fantasies.

And just what "infantile fantasies" am I retreating into ever so Anonymous One? Do tell. . .
Daniel said…
Well done sir!
A (mostly) successful parody which worked particularly well with long difficult to rhyme words.
I admire your artistry.