Another Blast From The Ignoble Past of Rev. Diane Miller and the UUA's Ministerial Fellowship Committee

To: Diane Miller
Executive Secretary
Ministerial Fellowship Committee

From: Robin Edgar
Psychotic Cultist
formerly of the Unitarian Church of Montreal

Woden's Day May 10, 2000 13:00 hrs


Dear Ms Miller,

You will find below the full text of the open letter that I distributed to UU's entering and leaving 25 Beacon Street on Woden's Day May 3, and on Thor's Day May 4. Apparently some UU's felt the letter was worth copying and distributing further within the UU offices. Response to my picketing was far more positive than I expected from a significant percentage of those who entered and left the UUA headquarters.

In view of the extremely defensive posture of various UU employees and officials I would have to say that my picketing was quite successful. I should inform you that it was only a warning shot "across the bows" of the UUA/MFC and like General MacArthur "I will return" if necessary.

The UU's for Right Relations are reasonably well informed about my "situation" and, thankfully, seem to be quite supportive. They had a meeting on the weekend prior to my picketing at which they were informed of my intention to picket 25 Beacon street. It was made clear to them that I would refrain from picketing if they felt that it would "do more harm than good." Not only did no one object to my picketing action but some hoped that I would stay a little longer and picket at the Trustees' meetings later on Thor's Day and Freya's Day. Unfortunately I was committed to helping a friend move back to Canada from Boston and could not stay any longer this time. Maybe next time.

So far, I get the impression that I have done a lot more good than harm to the cause of raising awareness to the ongoing failure of the UUA and MFC to deal in a truly responsible manner with clergy misconduct, particularly abusive conduct. I will continue to raise public awareness to this issue in the future, both within and without the UU community.

I will soon be sending you a complete package by "snail mail" (or maybe FEDEX) of documents, correspondance, and press clippings etc. (with luck you will even get a video of the TV news piece about my picketing of the UCM) arising from the abject failure of the UUA and more particularly the Ministerial Fellowship Committee (under your direction) to "respond in responsibility" to my legitimate and very serious grievances about Ray Drennan's unethical, unprofessional, and clearly abusive behavior towards me.

I am adding a few attachments of pictures of my picketing the UUA and UCM for you to view. They are not "computer viruses" in the traditional sense but they can, and almost certainly will, be infectious.

I am formally demanding that you and the MFC re-examine my case and thoroughly investigate Ray Drennan's "behavior" not only in terms of how it has affected me but how the consequences of his ongoing failure to accept responsibility for his actions have affected the Unitarian Church of Montreal and the greater Unitarian Universalist religious community.

A refusal on the part of the MFC to handle my complaint will guarantee a return to Boston in the coming months to protest again, this time having sent out press releases to all pertinent Boston media. I reserve the right to continue to protest and to speak out about the UUA and MFC's failure to deal responsibly with my grievances and clergy misconduct in general at other UU churchs, UUA and CUC AGM's etc. in the meantime.

That's all for now. I will be in touch later.

Sincerely,


Robin Edgar


P.S. It looks like the photos will have to wait as Hotmail is unable to process them right now.



Robin Edgar
15 Lafleur, apt. 11
Verdun, Quebec
Canada, H4G 3C3

robin_edgar@hotmail.com

website: http:/homepage.altavista.com/robin_edgar/home.html



Wodens Day May 3, 2000


Dear Fellow Unitarian Universalist,

I am protesting abusive treatment by Ray Drennan, minister of the Unitarian church of Montreal, and our religious community’s almost total failure to responsibly address my legitimate and very serious grievances. During a deplorable verbal assault Ray Drennan repeatedly mocked and ridiculed my religious beliefs by labeling them as "silliness and fantasy" etc. He sought to deny and dismiss my claim of a profound and significant revelatory mystical experience by labeling it as "your psychotic experience" and angrily insisted that I seek psychiatric treatment. Rev. Drennan also falsely, and I have good reason to believe maliciously, labeled my religious activities which were inspired by my revelatory experience as "your cult”. When I immediately challenged this extremely derogatory, obviously defamatory, and potentially very damaging allegation, Rev. Drennan had the gall to reply that he meant "cult in the sense of "a manipulative and secretive religious group.” My grievances submitted to the Board of Management of the Unitarian Church of Montreal, the Canadian Unitarian Council c/o President John Slattery, the UUA c/o President John Beuhrens, and the Ministerial Fellowship Committee were repeatedly rejected or arbitrarily dismissed. I was threatened with expulsion from the church and/or legal action if I did not drop my grievances about my treatment by Ray Drennan and our religious community in general.

For me to say that our religious community as a whole has not responded to my serious grievances in a manner that is in clear conformity with the purported principles and purposes of the Unitarian Universalist religious community would be a considerable understatement. The remarkably negligent and irresponsible manner in which my serious grievances have been responded to by our religious community as a whole is well documented. The written responses of the Board of the Unitarian Church of Montreal, officials of the Canadian Unitarian Council and the Unitarian Universalist Association, as well as the Ministerial Fellowship Committee, to my various letters airing my, grievances demonstrate a clear and consistent unwillingness to acknowledge the clearly unprofessional and unethical, to say nothing of psychologically abusive, nature of Ray Drennan's reprehensible conduct towards me. Diane Miller, Executive Secretary of the Ministerial Fellowship Committee actually had the gall to put in writing that Ray Drennan’s behaviour, as I described it (in a much more detailed letter of grievance) “seemed to us to be within the appropriate guidelines of ministerial leadership.” The response of our religious community as a whole to my legitimate grievances clearly demonstrates the inherent truth of the well known aphorism that,

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

Our religious community has so far responded to my grievances in a manner that is characterized by a remarkably high degree of callous indifference and willful ignorance. As far as I am concerned it has thoroughly compromised both the letter and the spirit of many of our principles and purposes; indeed, it would appear to have completely abandoned some of these principles in several instances. The Board of the UCM did nothing to implement responsible conflict resolution procedures when I first aired my grievances to them in February of 1996 and the Board later informed me in writing that it considers this matter to be closed as did the MFC. This is in spite of having done virtually nothing to responsibly address my grievances. I formally appealed to our congregation as a whole to responsibly intervene in this conflict on at least two occasions (April 21, 1996 and November 20, 1996) and on both of these occasions my pleas were willfully and callously ignored. After having been expelled for six months for writing one more letter than the Board wished to receive I decided to picket the UCM and I have been doing so most Sundays for almost two years. The Board of the UCM made no attempt to negotiate a settlement of this dispute following my picketing and on November 22, 1999 I was “excommunicated” from the Unitarian Church of Montreal during a congregational meeting that can rightfully be described as a “kangaroo court.” It would appear that the Unitarian Universalist religious community is one where “all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.” (Orwell)

I expect my fellow Unitarian Universalists in general, and the Ministerial Fellowship Committee, UUA, CUC and UCM in particular, to formally acknowledge that Ray Drennan's reprehensible conduct towards me is unprofessional, unethical, abusive and in clear violation of the integrity of numerous Unitarian Universalist principles and purposes, to say nothing of the Unitarian Universalist Ministers Association Guidelines. I expect our religious community to formally condemn Ray Drennan's misconduct, and demand that he retract the derogatory statements and damaging allegations that he made about me. Ray Drennan must also be subjected to disciplinary action that is commensurate with the seriousness of his offense.

I will add that it has become clearly apparent to me that our religious community as a whole repeatedly fails to respond with “justice, equity and compassion” in cases of ministerial misconduct and that there is a seemingly significant amount of abusive behavior, sexual or otherwise, taking place in our religious community on an ongoing basis. I am thus also picketing today on behalf of all those who have suffered any form of abuse from any Unitarian Universalists at any place or time. I am calling upon you, and all other Unitarian Universalists, to respond in responsibility to all the Spirits who have been abused by their fellow Unitarian Universalist clergy to help reform existing measures and create new measures that will ensure that any unprofessional, unethical, and/or abusive behavior by Unitarian Universalist clergy is responsibly dealt with at all levels of our religious community.

Finally, the revelatory religious experience that I am claiming, which Ray Drennan and other Unitarian Universalists have mocked, ridiculed and have tried to deny, dismiss and discredit, was a bona fide prophetic experience of considerable significance. It is shameful that our religious community which proclaims that “Revelation is not sealed!” should allow its clergy and lay people to respond in such an obviously negligent, irresponsible and outright hostile manner to “the Spirit that bloweth where it listeth. . .”

Sincerely,

Robin Edgar

Comments

Anonymous said…
The withdrawal of Mr. Edgar’s membership from the Unitarian Church of Montreal was not motivated by his religious beliefs, but by his disruptive and aggressive behavior towards the members of this congregation. His inappropriate behaviour has continued for more than ten years. Seven years ago he was brought before a Disruptive Behavior Committee, where over the next three years attempts were made to have him moderate his unacceptable behaviours. He would agree to proposed solutions and then go on as before. He was repeatedly warned that failure to comply with what he had agreed to do would result in serious consequences. Over this period, he was suspended from participation in Church life for six months. Unfortunately, upon his return his behaviour worsened , and he was suspended for an additional year. Again when he returned, his inappropriate behavior continued. Finally in November 1999, at a meeting of the full congregation, during which he spoke on his own behalf, a congregational vote was taken and his membership was revoked. This decade long process, during which sincere attempts were made by the congregation to negotiate a solution, ended when it became that he had no intention of ceasing his disruptive and aggressive behaviours. It should be noted that Reverend Ray Drennan did apologise, in person, on more than one occasion. However, this did not meet with Mr Edgar’s satisfaction. Mr. Edgar has redressed his grievances to whomever he has saw fit, be it the UAA, CUC, etc., and his complaint to the Quebec Human Rights Commission in 2002 was summarily dismissed as being without merit. Mr Edgar continues to picket the church in the futile belief that the Church will act. Reverend Drennan is no longer the minister as he left to follow his own life’s journey; and the church has simply moved on.
Robin Edgar said…
Strike nine. . . Anonymous U*U you are really out to lunch with your sincerely ignorant DIM Thinking and conscientiously stupid institutional denial. Do you really believe that intelligent people of conscience will believe your U*U BS just because you repeat it ad nauseum? I don't. I credit the Canadian and American public with rather more intelligence, sensitivity, and genuine conscience than you and many other like-minded small-minded and suspicious-minded U*Us do. . .
Anonymous said…
As someone who has absolutely no history with you and almost no history with the UCM either, I will only say that I have seen your protestations in my neighbourhood and your ineffectual attempts at dissuading individuals from going to the UCM peacefully. While the UCM may have had some kind of difficulties with you, and while you may have legitimate grievances with the UCM, it honestly doesn't seem worth wasting any further time on at this point. If you consider your revelation to be important, why don't you discuss it with another group (instead of the UCM) that will actually take it seriously? It is clear the UCM has completely moved on and will never consider interacting with you again. If they don't want to acknowledge your vision then why continue to waste your energy on them? Your mission should be to find others who actually care about the revelation you received, not on those who have no use for it. You are neither helping the environment, serving the community, spreading goodwill, nor serving God in any way by focusing your efforts on a constant campaign of picketing and insulting signs. If you are open to understanding how God works in the world, then you ought to know that God chooses to work in ways both mysterious and wonderful. Being a negative influence and spending time on negative energy is evil and contrary to God's will. Your picketing should stop and you should not be so insulting anymore. You should work to do good things and use positive energy to make your own life and the life around you better. That's what God has always wanted for each of us, and millions of us have come to that truth. Slandering the Unitarians really doesn't do anyone any good and only wastes the remainder of your life on useless arguments. Move on. God never forgets those who forgive and show kindness, even to those who are unkind. And God also never forgets those who are incapable of ever truly doing good because they remain trapped and obsessed by arguments that are insignificant in the grand scheme of the universe. God is watching. Will you do the right thing? Or will you continue to contradict God by amassing so much negative energy? It's your choice, but God will see exactly what you choose. No matter how convinced you may be of being right, God will not be pleased unless you become a positive force and stop what you're doing.
Robin Edgar said…
Herewith my point by point response to what Anonymous said above. . .

:As someone who has absolutely no history with you and almost no history with the UCM either, I will only say that I have seen your protestations in my neighbourhood and your ineffectual attempts at dissuading individuals from going to the UCM peacefully.

This is gross misinterpretation of my ongoing public protest in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal. My peaceful public protest is not intended to be "dissuading individuals from going to the UCM peacefully" as Anonymous ignorantly suggests but rather it is primarily intended to warn the general public about the genuinely outrageous hypocrisy of the leaders and congregation of the Unitarian Church of Montreal, various specific injustices and abuses that have been perpetrated against myself and indeed other human beings and perpetuated by the gross negligence, callous indifference, appalling apathy, stunningly obstinate willful ignorance and institutional denial as exemplified by the earlier anonymous post above. . .

:While the UCM may have had some kind of difficulties with you, and while you may have legitimate grievances with the UCM, it honestly doesn't seem worth wasting any further time on at this point.

Anonymous clearly is quite ignorant of the very serious legitimate reasons for my peaceful public protest and indeed the realistic aims of my ongoing protest activities. Obviously I believe that it is worth spending further time on and do not consider that time to be wasted by any means.

:If you consider your revelation to be important, why don't you discuss it with another group (instead of the UCM) that will actually take it seriously?

Why does anonymous ignorantly assume that I am not discussing my revelation with other groups? My protest is not about my revelation of God but rather arises from the intolerant and abusive response to that revelation by Rev. Ray Drennan, Frank Greene, John Inder and other leading members of the Unitarian Church of Montreal. My protest also address other injustices and abuses perpetrated by Unitarians and not just Montreal Unitarians that have yet to be responsibly redressed by the Unitarian Unversalist "religious community".

:It is clear the UCM has completely moved on and will never consider interacting with you again.

Actually it is not clear at all and even if this was the case it in no way affects the reasons for my protest. On the contrary it would be a very good reason to continue the protest indefinitely because it would be an injust, negligent, and stunningly hypocritical if the Unitarian Church of Montreal and indeed the greater Unitarian Universalist religious community had indeed "moved on" without properly addressing and redressing the totally legitimate reasons for my ongoing protest.

:If they don't want to acknowledge your vision then why continue to waste your energy on them?

I am not wastingh my time as I have already stated and the protest is against Unitarian injustices, abuses and hypocrisy, some of which have absolutely nothing to do with my "vision".

:Your mission should be to find others who actually care about the revelation you received, not on those who have no use for it.

Once again Anonymous displays his or her ignorance by assuming that I am not sharing my revelation and vision with other groups and individuals who are more receptive to it than outrageously hypocritical Unitarians who loudly and publicly profess to be open to prophecy and revelation but label you as "psychotic" and other pathologize you if you actually dare to claim to have undergone a prophetic revelatory experience. . . It's is not for nothing that one of my picket sign slogans was CHURCH OF THE "PSYCHOTIC" REACTION.

:You are neither helping the environment, serving the community, spreading goodwill, nor serving God in any way by focusing your efforts on a constant campaign of picketing and insulting signs.

Wrong. More ignorance from Anonymous. I am in fact serving the community by warning the community of serious problems with the Unitarian Church of Montreal and the greater Unitarian Universalist religious community. And I do believe that I am serving God and my fellow human beings by exposing and denouncing Unitarian hypocrisy and injustices otherwise I would not continue my protest. As far as the environment goes I am serving it in various ways, even in the course of my protest, but it should be noted that one of the things that I am protesting against is the false and malicious lableling of Creation Day (an inter-religious celebration of Creation that placed a strong emphasis on living in harmony with Creation) as a "cult" by Rev. Ray Drennan, Frank Greene, John Inder and other Unitarians. It is not without reason that one of my picket sign slogans says - CULT IS A FOUR LETTER WORD

:If you are open to understanding how God works in the world, then you ought to know that God chooses to work in ways both mysterious and wonderful.

Anonymous now seeks to enlighten someone who has had a "mysterious and wonderful" prophetic revelatory experience of God about how God works in the world. . . I am perfectly aware of how God works on the world Anonymous non-UU. It is Unitarians who require enlightenment about the "mysterious and wonderful" ways that God works in the world but they have chosen to not only obstinately ignore my revelation about the "mysterious and wonderful" ways that God works in the world but have chosen to maliciously insult and attack my revelation and vision with damaging slanderous allegations and then have gone on to punish me for seeking justice and appropriate redress.

:Being a negative influence and spending time on negative energy is evil and contrary to God's will.

First of all I suggest that you refamiliarize yourself with God's will because the last time I checked God has been a negative influence and has dispensed a fair bit of negative energy throughout human history. Second of all even from a purely human standpoint peaceful public protest such as I am conducting is neither "evil" nor ultimately "negative energy" or "negative influence" on the contrary many people would agree that it is "good" and "positive energy" intending to ultimately exert positive influence once the "evil", "negative energy" and "negative influence" of the Unitarian religious community is finally acknowledged and responsibly dealt with.

:Your picketing should stop and you should not be so insulting anymore.

Anonymous non-UU's willful ignorance is quite apparently only exceeded by his or her stunning arrogance. . . My picketing can and will continue for as long as I, and indeed others. . . believe it to be entirely justified by the injustices, abuses and outrageous hypocrisy of Montreal Unitarians and the greater Unitarian Universalist "religious community".

:You should work to do good things and use positive energy to make your own life and the life around you better.

The arrogant Anonymous non-UU ignorantly assumes that I am not working "to do good things and use positive energy to make (my) own life and the life around you better." Ignorant Anonymous non-UU is quite apparently unready, unwilling and unable to see that as far as I am concerned my ongoing public protest in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal is in fact part and parcel of my "work to do good things" to make my own life and the life around me better. . .

:That's what God has always wanted for each of us, and millions of us have come to that truth.

As have I.

:Slandering the Unitarians really doesn't do anyone any good and only wastes the remainder of your life on useless arguments.

Wrong. First off I am by no means slandering the Unitarians. Everything that I have said about them is true and supported by an abundance of documentary evidence. Exposing and denouncing Unitarian Universalist injustices and abuses does plenty of good and ultimately should do good for the Unitarian Unversalist "religious community" itself when it finally throws in the proverbial towel and admits that it has perpetrated and perpetuated the injustices and abuses that I am perfectly legitimately protesting against. My arguments are far from useless. My arguments are backed by an abundance of evidence that proves that Montreal Unitarians and the greater Unitarian Universalist "religious community" are guilty of serious injustices and abuses and outrageous hypocrisy.

:Move on. God never forgets those who forgive and show kindness, even to those who are unkind.

God never forgets anything Anonymoys non-UU including your own ignorance, arrogance and unkindness here. . .

:And God also never forgets those who are incapable of ever truly doing good because they remain trapped and obsessed by arguments that are insignificant in the grand scheme of the universe.

Well my arguments are by no means "insignificant in the grand scheme of the universe". . . In fact Unitarians are trapped and obsessed in their own insignificant, indeed largely empty and spurious, arguments against me and the very significant revelation of God that I am sharing with my fellow human beings. . .

:God is watching.

I am perfectly aware of that Anonymous. The revelation of God that I am sharing with my fellow human beings is all about the fact that God is watching and that God's divine omniscience is symbolized by the total solar eclipse "Eye of God".

:Will you do the right thing?

As far as I am concerned I am doing the right thing by publicly protestingh against Unitarian Universalist injustices and abuses and outrageous hypocrisy including, but not limited to, that of maliciously slandering and otherwise suppressing and repressing a genuine revelation of God of considerable significance. . .

:Or will you continue to contradict God by amassing so much negative energy?

I am not contradicting God. In fact I am being remarkably restrained and reasonable in my response to Unitarian Universalist injustices, abuses and hypocrisy. May I remind you that Jesus physically assaulted people with a whip for what may be rightly considered to be less serious injustices and abuses than slandering and suppressing a significant revelation of God?

:It's your choice, but God will see exactly what you choose.

That's exactly right. It is my choice and I am abundantly aware that God sees exactly what I choose every second of every day of every week of every month of every year. Would that Unitarians understood this and acted appropriately in response to my perfectly legitimate and very serious grievances that justify my ongoing protest activity. God has watched them make a total mockery of their purported principles and purposes for over a decade now. . .

:No matter how convinced you may be of being right, God will not be pleased unless you become a positive force and stop what you're doing.

Wrong. You are in no position to tell me, or anyone else for that matter. . . what God will or will not be pleased with. I have good reason to believe that God fully understands why I am protesting in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal. That is why I will continue to do so until the injustices, abuses and outrageous hypocrisy that I am protesting against are fully acknowledged and responsibly redresed by the Unitarian Universalist "religious community".
Robin Edgar said…
For the further enlightenment of Anonymous non-UU here is a link to the web site for Creation Day, the inter-religious celebration of Creation that was indirectly inspired by my profound revelatory experience of God and falsely and maliciously labeled as a "cult" by Rev. Ray Drennan and two Presidents of the Unitarian Church of Montreal, namely Frank Greene and John Inder. This slanderous malicious attack on Creation Day, and other damaging attacks on my claimed revelation of God, have been condeoned and even effectively endorsed not only by the Board and congregation of the Unitarian Church of Montreal but by top level Unitarian Universalsist clergy and officials of the Canadian Unitarian Council and the Unitarian Universalist Association, including former UUA President Rev. Dr. John Beuhrens and Rev. Diane Miller formerly of the UUA's Ministerial Fellowship Committee. So put that in your ignorant and arrogant appeasement pipe and smoke it. . .