Frank Forrester Church IV aka Rev. Dr. Forrest Church Was A TOTAL Douche As A Father Who Did Horrible U*U Shit Sometimes. . .

But don't take *my* word for it U*Us. . .

Take the word of Frank Forrester Church V, who is the son of Frank Forrester Church IV aka Rev. Dr. Forrest Church, as posted to the interconnected web of the internet aka the interwebs in this comment that Frank Forrester Church V somewhat belatedly posted to Rev. Daniel Harper's Yet Another Unitarian Universalist blog post entitled:

'A portrait of the minister as a misconductor'

I find it humorous, painfully humorous to find this “discussion” two years too late. Man I would have loved to unload on this then. But I won’t, as much. I tend to disregard UU’s in general, mainly because of the way All Souls craftily and wholly politically shamed my mother, even as she was the victim of my father’s adultery..has never been lost on me.

My father, in his career, in books written about him, needs to be shown as a human. And guess what?, Humans do horrible shit sometimes, to their loved ones, to their families and to themselves. I find it hilarious anyone who would have a problem frankly discussing another’s humanity because it might take-away from something. It should take away, or it should add to the levity of his pastoral message. 

He was a total douche as a father and honestly in retrospect as a minister if you read his pre-divorce/adultery books. They read like the author is in love with his own musings, not who they reach. Then after he “fell” so harshly and finally addressed his horrible alcoholism that we all lived with as children (that shit wasn’t just his problem). Things changed, he gave up his life-crutches, his ways to numb his pain and his insecurity and he started to feel, he started to do things with transparency and purpose, not image and theatrics. And he became a real voice in the UUA. And a real father. Because he actually had perspective, something to say, and people to actually connect to beyond just the posturing bullshit.

Reading this message board, and while I am sure a few of you are real kind people, yeah it mostly all feels like posturing bullshit. Feels like the talk without the investment of the personal. Speaking of UU clergy, you should research some of the UU clergy my father slept (cheating on my mom) with before he met Carolyn. Oh wait, no that might be against your rules eh? Lol, hilarious.

I don’t have lingering anger toward my dead father. He died a great man, very proud of him and his journey. But Dan Cryer was bobbing on him way too hard…before he deserved it . Everyone knows it.

Guess what? The Rev Forrest Church should be remembered as a seriously flawed man who found the courage through love to correct himself. But the 45+ years before he found that courage can’t be washed over because it makes some gutless people nervous. He didn’t love my mom more than he loved himself, but he did find a true soulmate in Carolyn Buck Luce and she did truly provide an arena for him to face his demons and then publicly and with humility share it with everyone else.
That’s just the facts, from one of the “children.”

Frank F Church V



Comments