Do Unitarian Universalists "Gaslight" Clergy Abuse Victims And Whistleblowers?

It depends upon what the meaning of the word "gaslighting" is. . .

Yesterday I published a post about UUA Moderator Jim Key brazenly lying about #ChildSexAbuse committed by Unitarian Universalist ministers to my Facebook account. This morning I saw that one of my almost 4000 Facebook friends had posted the following comment while I was getting my beauty sleep last night:

I am so sorry that your experience is being invalidated. Seems like gaslighting. UUA response is abusive.

I responded thusly:

Thanks XXXX. It's not just my experience that is being invalidated. It's the experience of women and girls, to say nothing of men and boys. . . who have been sexually exploited, and even sexually abused, by Unitarian Universalist ministers. I'm not a victim of sexual abuse by a Unitarian Universalist minister.

As far as experiences being invalidated and gas lighting goes, Unitarian Universalist minister Rev. Mack Wallace Mitchell was convicted of forcibly and repeatedly raping a teenage Tibetan refugee, and Rev. William Alexander McEachern was convicted of molesting pre-teen girls, but UUA Moderator Jim Key stood at a podium in front of thousands of Unitarian Universalists during the 2014 General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association and told them that no children had been abused by Unitarian Universalist clergy in what was supposed to be an official apology for clergy sexual misconduct by the UUA Board of Trustees. That brazen lie about child sex abuse committed by Unitarian Universalist ministers certainly borders on gaslighting, as does the false accusation of blasphemous libel that UUA brought against me in a cease and desist demand letter in 2012. I however am not being "gaslighted" by the UUA for the simple reason that their distorsions of the Truth and brazen lies about UUA clergy abuse are not causing me to question my sanity. Au contraire, the brazen lies about easily provable and verifiable facts cause me to question the sanity of top-level UUA leaders, UUA clergy, and other Unitarian Universalists who brazenly lie about clergy sexual misconduct that includes "such despicable crimes as pedophilia and rape" committed by "certain Unitarian Universalist ministers".

Yes, the UUA's response to my legitimate grievances and whistleblowing about even worse clergy abuse than I experienced is definitely abusive, and has been abusive since 1996 when the UUA's aptly named Ministerial *Fellowship* Committee brushed off my complaint about Rev. Ray Drennan's anti-religious intolerance and bigotry by claiming that "it seemed to us to be within the appropriate guidelines of ministerial leadership".

Thank you for publicly sharing your concerns about the UUA's abusive response and "gaslighting". It is genuinely appreciated. We will see what happens this year. . .

end quote

Before publishing this post I asked the person who made the above comment if they had any objection to me blogging about it. Here is how they responded to my request in a private Facebook Messenger DM:

Post my comment however and wherever you like. In my understanding, the strategy of denial and gaslighting is to discourage you. It is a delaying action so that decades go by. Then the officials can say that no one remembers or cares. UUA is playing a very long game, and that game is destructive, and in my opinion evil.

Comments