The Emerson Avenger

The Emerson Avenger is a "memory hole" free blog where censorship is scorned. This blog will "guard the right to know" about any injustices and abuses that corrupt Unitarian Universalism. Posters may speak and argue freely, according to conscience, about any injustices and abuses, or indeed hypocrisy, that they may know about so that the Avenger, in the form of justice and redress, may come surely and swiftly. . . "Slowly, slowly the Avenger comes, but comes surely." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

In 1992 I underwent a profound revelatory experience of God which revealed that the total solar eclipse "Eye of God" is a "Sign in the Heavens" that symbolizes God's divine omniscience. You may read about what Rev. Ray Drennan of the Unitarian Church of Montreal contemptuously dismissed as my "psychotic experience" here: http://revelationisnotsealed.homestead.com - This revelatory religious experience inspired me to propose an inter-religious celebration of Creation that would take place whenever a total solar eclipse took place over our planet. You may read about what Rev. Ray Drennan and other leading members of the Unitarian Church of Montreal falsely and maliciously labeled as a "cult" here: http://creationday.homestead.com - I am now an excommunicated Unitarian whose "alternative spiritual practice" includes publicly exposing and denouncing Unitarian*Universalist injustices, abuses, and hypocrisy. The Emerson Avenger blog will serve that purpose for me and hopefully others will share their concerns here. Dee Miller's term DIM Thinking is used frequently and appropriately on this blog. You may read more about what DIM Thinking is here - http://www.takecourage.org/defining.htm

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fundamentalist Atheist Unitarian*Universalists aka U*Us Repel Yet Another Spiritual And/Or Religious Unitarian*Universalist. . .

Somebody going by the name Shyloh made it abundantly clear that intolerant and abusive "fundamentalist atheist" "Humanist" U*Us still make plenty of Unitarian*Universalist "churches" anything but "Welcoming Congregations" to spiritual and/or religious people. Without further ado here are the comments that Shyloh submitted to Rev. Victoria Weinstein's 'What I’d Prefer To See' post on her Peacebang blog -

I left a uu church almost 3 years ago - in this particular church there was such a lack of respect for anyone with “spiritual” beliefs that were associated with religion. Any religion. I want to venture out again and am gathering up my courage to go to a church that is a little further away- but has a larger congregation and (at least on line) looks like it honors diversity of belief along with diversity in ethnicity, sexual orientation etc. I’m trying to talk myself into going tomorrow.

I like my spirit with a little edge. Unfortunately in the previous church it was all edge and no spirit. But I don’t want a church that smiles and smiles, avoids controversy and participates in what I call “token charity events”. I hope to find the church that mirrors the images you were suggesting for ads. Wish me luck.

Comment by Shyloh — June 26, 2009

After reflecting a bit on what I wrote I want to make something a bit clearer. When I wrote about the lack of respect for any kind of spirituality I meant contempt and ridicule*. Sometimes subtle, often overt. It was a small church* (Editor's note: What a surprise. . .) with, as I came to learn, a core group of what I would call “fundamentalist atheists”*. I welcome and enjoy respectful discussions, debates, disagreements. I’ve learned quite a bit from those kinds of conversations, at times even changing my perspective. I also never expected the church to cater to my particular beliefs. Among other things, I was attracted to the UU tradition because it didn’t cater to any one religious creed but instead offered principles that, in my mind, support the diverse whole.Tomorrow morning I hope to find a church that truly embraces diversity of all kinds.

Comment by Shyloh — June 27, 2009


* my emphasis


Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Paula Reed said...

I found inspiration for my own blog here and thought I'd let you know that I linked to you. I hope you take the "ax-grinder" comment as intended. Axes do need to be sharpened, and they are useful tools.

Friday, July 03, 2009 12:53:00 pm  
Blogger Robin Edgar said...

What?!!!

Are you "name-calling" me a tool Paula? :-)

Just kidding. I will take your "ax-grinder" comment as a compliment Paula and will point out that in *some* parts of the U*U World "useful tools" are considered to be weapons of mass* destruction. . . So, with that in mind, maybe I will take your "useful tools" comment as a compliment too!

I am quite gratified that you found some inspiration for the Dogma post of your Paula Reed blog Paula. Not only that but, in reading that blog post, I feel quite validated. The more U*Us who are similarly inspired by this or other post on The Emerson Avenger blog the better for the U*U World AFA*I*AC. Feel free to be similarly inspired by other TEA blog posts Paula. I will comment on your blog post soon enough but have other priorities at the moment.

Thanks for your U*U heads up here, and thanks also for your thoughtful 'Dogma' blog post which acknowledges that the anti-religious intolerance of the "fundamentalist atheist" subset aka faction of Humanist U*Us is a problem and that Unitarian*Universalists must address their own intolerance. For the record I posted to petitions to the Standing On The Side Of Love Campaign Facebook page recently. One calls upon U*Us to stand on the side of love for God believing people who face exclusion, oppression, and even violence within the U*U World itself. The other petition calls upon U*Us to stand on the side of love for Republicans and other political conservatives who face exclusion, oppression, and even hate in the U*U World.









* "mass" as in U*U church services.

Friday, July 03, 2009 3:45:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home