Montreal Unitarians Are Spitting In God's Eye?!! Responding To A U*UTube Message I Have Received

I received the following message from a U*UTube viewer this morning and I feel that it is quite appropriate and worthwhile to publicly post it here, along with my response to it, while protecting the sender's privacy by not revealing their identity or the particular UUA district that they hail from. AFA*I*AC This message could have been sent by *any* "materialist atheist" Unitarian*Universalist -

Hey, I saw a couple of your videos from a protest you conducted and was wondering what message you're exactly trying to convey. I'm a new member of a congregation in the X district, and I noticed that one of your signs referred to "spitting in god's eye." I myself am a materialist atheist, and I wonder what you mean by that, do you have a problem with the secularist path that Unitarian Universalism is taking?


Hi X,

Thanks for engaging in a free and responsible search for the truth and meaning of my protest videos by contacting me and asking a reasonable question.

I do not have a problem with your average atheist, and I can live with atheists being U*Us as long as they are ready, willing and able to get along with God believing Unitarians, but when intolerant and abusive "fundamentalist atheists" are not only allowed to be U*Us but are even ordained as U*U ministers I definitely do have a problem with that. Quite frankly their behavior towards God believing people violates U*U principles and makes a total mockery of the word Unitarian to say nothing of "church".

If you view my videos, or run appropriate Google searches, you will discover that I am protesting against the anti-religious intolerance and bigotry of the "fundamentalist atheist" subset of Unitarian Universalists and various other injustices and abuses committed by U*Us.

As far as the "spitting in God's eye" thing goes that is actually the headline of the first Montreal Mirror newspaper article about my protest in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal, but it is very apropos to the overall situation so I do quote it every now and then. In fact I am seriously considering making a new picket sign slogan, based on that headline that a Montreal Mirror reporter or editor was inspired to come up, with which says -

A "CHURCH" THAT IS SPITTING IN GOD'S EYE

Here is the URL for that article -

http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/1998/060498/news5.html

Here is my follow-up letter to the editor -

http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/1998/061898/letters.html

Figuratively speaking Montreal Unitarians are "spitting in God's eye" in terms of their intolerant and insulting, and quite frankly willfully ignorant, rejection of the information that I tried to share with them.

It's a long story aka saga that has been drawn out for over a decade now as a direct result of the incredibly stubborn refusal of Montreal Unitarians, UUA administrators, and U*Us more generally to make even a half-assed effort to actually practice justice, equity and compassion in their human relations with me, or indeed genuinely honor and uphold other U*U principles and ideals.

Regards,

Robin Edgar

Comments

Robin Edgar said…
Update December 1st 2012:

Unfortuantely, as a result of Quebecor's decision to dump the Montreal Mirror alternative weekly newspaper and delete it's extensive website, the links to the Montreal Mirror website are no longer valid and I cannot provide alternative links at this time. I will attempt to reproduce the Montreal Mirror articles and letters to the editor on this blog down the road a bit. . .