More UU Foot-In-Mouth Disease aka Mad Ewe-Ewe Disease courtesy of Will Shetterly's QUERTY Ranch

:Emerson Avenger, thanks for the clarification.

You're most welcome Will. . .

:Before I address your points, I should say this: I'm a universalist who is a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association. I'm not a minister or an administrator.

Thanks for the clarification Will.

:What I say is what I believe,

I don't doubt it. . .

:but it's not what all UUs believe.

One would hope so. . .

:Anyone who claims to speak for all UUs is lying or mad,

Tell that to the UUAs' Washington Office for Advocacy, various other UUA or CUC lobbyists, and any number of other UUs who do in fact quite regularly claim to speak for all UUs. . .

:because UUs believe in shared work and in shared values, not in shared belief.

Are you quite sure that ALL UUs believe that Will?

Are you quite sure that you aren't lying or mad?

I have seen first hand just how UUs "believe" in their purported "shared values" it's not very pretty Will. . . I have seen lot's of lying UUs and lots of mad UUs.

:Here's what suggests that Unitarian Universalism is not your path: "UUism claims to be a religion where "Revelation Is Not Sealed!" but when I claim a bona fide Revelation of God--"

Yes?

:No UU claims a bona fide revelation.

Really? Are you quite sure that ALL UUs believe that Will?

Are you quite sure that you aren't lying or mad?

I could have sworn that I was a once a UU and that I was, and indeed still am. . . claiming a bona fide revelation of God. Just what kind of revelations are UUs referring to Will, when they repeatedly proclaim that "Revelation Is Not Sealed!"? Quite evidently not bona fide revelations in any way shape or form. . . right Will?

:Revelations are for everyone.

I could have sworn that that is exactly what I just said earlier in this thread and what I have been saying for quite some time now. . .

The bona fide revelation of God that I am claiming is indeed for everyone.

:Trying to impose your revelation on another is the antithesis of Unitarian Universalism.

I am not trying to "impose" my revelation on anyone I am just trying to make it available to "everyone" and, in light of claimed UU "shared values", I am asking UUs to responsibly share in the work, including but not limited to the work of responsibly investigating and validating my claimed revelation. . .

By the way Will. Rev. Ray Drennan clearly tried to impose his "revelation" that my revelation was nothing but a "psychotic experience", as well as trying to impose his "revelation" that Creation Day is a "cult" on me and no doubt others. . . I would most certainly agree that THAT imposition is indeed the antithesis of Unitarian Universalism in spite of the fact that Rev. Ray Drennan insisted that he was being "very Unitarian."

:You confirm that Unitarian Universalism is not your path when you say, "If my claim is genuinely "valid" for me then it is genuinely "valid" for every single human being on this planet."

You confirm your lack of understanding of the meaning of the words "valid" and indeed "truth" when you make that assertion. Any objective Truth, religious or otherwise, that is valid for one person is in fact, and in truth. . . "valid" for all other people. I am just using good old Unitarian Reason here Will. Are you possibly suggesting that UUism no longer believes in applying bona fide Unitarian Reason to one's beliefs, religious or otherwise. . .

:A Unitarian Universalist would say something like, "If my belief helps me help others, it is valid for me. If other people's beliefs help them help others, their beliefs are valid for them."

I am not talking about "belief" Will I am talking about Truth. Surely you understand and will acknowledge that the words "truth" and "belief" have two rather different meanings. Surely you understand and will acknowledge that people believe all kinds of things that are untrue and, conversely, fail or refuse to believe all kinds of things that are in fact true. . . If my claimed revelation of God is in fact "valid" and thus "true" then it is "valid" and in fact "true" for "everyone" whether they choose to believe it or not. . . For a writer, even a writer of fiction. . . your grasp of the English language seems to be somewhat deficient. Maybe if you are a nice UU and steer clear of being a naughty UU for a while Santa Claus will give you a good dictionary or two and Roget's Thesaurus for Christmas.

:I wish you good luck finding a path that suits you better than Unitarian Universalism.

Not so subtly showing me the door eh Will?

That's what I love about UUs Will they're so genuinely "Welcoming". . .

But don't worry Will you are by no means the first UU to show me the door.

Allah Prochaine,

The Dagger of Sweet Reason

Comments

indrax said…
I agree that there is an underlying ultimate reality, independent of belief.
When I'm on a faster connection again, I'll dig up the Bnet conversation I had on this. I think it would be useful here, because I came to a good understanding with 'the other side'.
Robin Edgar said…
:I agree that there is an underlying ultimate reality, independent of belief.

Well said Indrax.

It's pretty much a no-brainer really so it surprises me how some UUs, indeed rather too many UUs IMNSHO, just don't seem to get it. . .

Feel free to link to the Bnet conversation from here if you wish.