The 'I am Theist, You are Humanist Song' Courtesy Of Unitarian*Universalist U*UTube Video Guy JMan4723



The Emerson Avenger made yet another Unitarian*Universalist virtual friend this morning. It would seem that a young Unitarian*Universalist of as yet indeterminate aka ambigU*Uous theological stance going by the YouTube handle of jman4723 decided to stand on the side of love by sending me an R.S.V.P. invitation to become his friend on YouTube aka U*UTube. Apparently becoming friends on YouTube makes it easier to keep track of what your friends are favoriting, uploading, or rating, and makes it easier to share public or private videos. Needless to say becoming "friends" on YouTube makes it easier to keep track of what your enemies are favoriting, uploading, or rating, as well. . . ;-) Who knows? Perhaps jman4723 is familiar with the famous saying of that little known famous U*U the ancient Chinese general & military strategist Sun-Tzu:

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

But seriously, I am confident that this gesture of jman4723 was made in bona fide good faith which is quite refreshing considering just how much bona fide bad faith I have encountered within the U*U religious community. I must say that it is truly galling for hypocritical UUA administrators, including UUA Presidents, and other U*U religious leaders to sign off their letters and/or "electronic communications" with the salutation "In Faith" when those letters and emails contain clear evidence of their bad faith. . .

But I digress. Before accepting jman4723's invitation to become friends on YouTube aka U*UTube I naturally clicked on the link to jman4723's YouTube channel to see just who he might be. The top level YouTube video being promoted was titled 'I am Theist, You are Humanist'. The still image of this YouTube video shows a couple of mainstream 97% White "Anglo Saxon" Unitarian*Universalist young men aka WASU*Us who are clean and nice-looking guys standing in front of what appears to be a rather large organ, of the kind that you often find in a fairly large church. In that JMan appears hail from Milwaukee Wisconsin I am guessing that the U*U "church" in question is most probably the Unitarian*Universalist congregation that is known as the First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee. Nothing like a little truth in advertising eh U*Us?

On playing this YouTube video it quickly became evident that these clean and nice-looking guys (JMan would appear to be the fellow on the left) were not only articulate and bright (or even 'Bright' for that matter) but ALSO have nice-sounding voices and can actually sing quite well. Yes, it turned out that 'I am Theist, You are Humanist' is a song, performed by JMan and another clean and nice-looking guy, which they sung during a U*U sermon on humanism and agnosticism. This song does a pretty good job of dealing with the theist/humanist divide that is found in too many U*U "churches" in a light-hearted and good-natured humorous manner. It makes some very valid points about how *some* Humanists consider themselves to be quite superior to theists in an inoffensive manner. I gave it a five star 'Awesome!' rating even though it was also 'Pretty cool' and 'Worth Watching'. Unfortunately there is no way to give it a 12 star rating which would combine all of those descriptions.

Here are the comments that I left on this educational U*UTube video:

Thanks for inviting me to be a friend jman4723. I just viewed this amusing U*UTube video which deals with the theist/humanist divide in a lighthearted and good-natured way that none-the-less shows up some of the real problems that occur in U*U churches. I have added it to my favorites and given it a 5 star 'Awesome' rating. Keep up the good cop work! I expect however that I will be the "bad cop" known as The Emerson Avenger aka The Dark Knight of the U*U World for a while yet though. . . :-)

BTW jman4723 I am going to post this video to The Emerson Avenger blog so you may get a few more views as a result of this. I expect that a few other U*U bloggers will also post it to their blogs and will encourage some to do so. Can you save me the trouble of creating a transcript of the 'I am Theist, You are Humanist' song by sending me the lyrics? I will post the full lyrics of the song to the TEA blog as well if you do so. Give my regards to your U*U congregation.

The Emerson Avenger

Comments

Anonymous said…
Many thanks from jman4723! Here are the lyrics in case you wanted them!

You are theist I am humanist
I think that you're naive
You have no proof to offer as truth,
You simply say "I believe"

New age bubbles get you in trouble
Lost in a feel-good fluff
True understanding is quite demanding
Praying is not enough.

Totally unprepared are you
To make a case that's plain
Maybe the incense, chants, and drums
Have ruined your poor brain.

You need someone older and wiser
Telling you what to do,
You are theist, I am humanist
I--will think--for you!

I am theist, you are humanist
You're locked inside your head.
You're existential, self-referential
Claiming that God is dead,

Occam's razor, Pascal's wager
empty tautology
Wisdom, traditions, not erudition
Make much more sense to me.

Totally unprepared are you
To let go of your mind.
How 'bout a leap of faith, my friend
You might like what you find.

When you find that you're out of answers
You won't know what to do
I am theist, you are humanist,
I -- will pray -- for you.

We wait on the brink
Lets go have a drink (of coffee)
I'll Pray
I'll Think
For you you! (UU)
Robin Edgar said…
Well you are most welcome JMan. Please accept many sincere thanks from your's truly, and no doubt other people of good will on both sides of the Theist/Humanist divide, for composing* the 'I am Theist, You are Humanist' song, performing it during a religious service at what I have very reasonable grounds to believe is the First Unitarian Universalist Society Of Milwaukee Wisconsin, and subsequently posting a video of that performance to YouTube aka U*U Tube for the whole wide U*U World to see, to say nothing of the whole wide *real* world to potentially see. Your efforts to promote tolerance, goodwill, and indeed acceptance between Theists and Humanists aka Atheists are to be applauded.

For the record I do not have a problem with your average run-of-the-mill Humanist aka atheist, it is only the *too* condescending, sneeringly contemptuous, and/or outright hostile and abusive anti-religious Humanists who wear there religious intolerance and bigotry in armbands on their sleeves who get my back up and inspire me to write 'The Atheist Supremacist's Song' or this less than flattering version of 'I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Unitarian'.
Robin Edgar said…
Oops! I accidentally posted that comment somewhat prematurely. The asterisk aka famous U*U Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s "picture of an asshole" attached to the word 'composed' was intended to indicate a footnote asking whether or not I am assU*Uming too much in suggesting that you are the composer of the 'I am Theist, You are Humanist' song. Needless to say this song *could* have been composed by someone else, or indeed be something of a group effort. Please let me know who actually composed the song so that I can give credit where credit is due to the genius(es) responsible for creating it. :-)
Robin Edgar said…
Please forgive me U*Us for getting all anal retentive on U*U again in ever so humbly con*fesse*ing to the mistake aka error aka "sin" of ass*erting that the ass*te*risk symbol aka "picture of an asshole" was attached to the word 'composed' when in capital 'T' objective Truth aka reality it was attached to the word the word 'composing'.

Come to think of it U*Us, the word 'composed' as in -

Serenely self-possessed; calm. See Synonyms at cool.

(of people) in control of their feelings

serenely self-possessed and free from agitation especially in times of stress;

unagitated - not agitated or disturbed emotionally

etc. etc. including even-tempered

is actually a very good word to describe my composure aka demeanor the vast majority of the time, including when I am sitting behind* my "obsolete", yet none-the-less awesomely powerful, X86 Pentium computer playing the role of the Dark Knight of the benighted U*U World The Emerson Avenger aka The Dagger Of Sweet Reason. . .